Adil’s radio career began over 20 years ago on pirate radio. Today, Adil is one of the rare voices that has appeared on all the major BBC Radio networks.
Adil’s first full-time position was at Galaxy radio when he became the first British Asian to host a daily show on commercial radio. Adil joined the BBC Asian Network in 2001. He launched the late-night Adil Ray Show where he gave a platform for young aspiring artists to promote their musical talents, including the first interview for chart-topper Jay Sean, whilst incorporating comedy characters and sketches into the show. Adil went on to present the Asian Network’s Breakfast show until 2010.
In 2008 Adil won the award for Best Radio Show at the UK Asian Music Awards and gained consistently record figures whilst there which he puts down to providing his audience a ‘chance to laugh, sometimes at themselves’. During his time on the network, Adil introduced the listening public to a number of comedy characters such as the rapper MC Raa and the prominent Asian Businessman Mr Sodhi, as well as producing spoof adverts and song parodies.
In 2010 Adil left the BBC Asian Network to focus on writing comedy and work for BBC Radio 5 live. Adil’s ability to shift from comedy performer to news broadcaster was evident as he broke news stories such as the UK summer riots, phone hacking and the night the UK went to war in Libya.
Adil’s 5live work included hosting the late night slot (10 pm – 1 am) and hosting a number of cricket-based shows for 5 live (and Radio 4’s Test Match Special) including the 6-duck-6 phone-in.
Over the years Adil has been asked to appear on and look after the shows of Liza Tarbuck, Victoria Derbyshire, Gabby Logan, Gethin Jones and Tony Livesey.
Other radio credits include a number of documentaries for BBC Radio 4 including Picturing Britain, a five-part documentary meeting prominent British photographers including Rankin. Adil posed for Rankin at one of his exhibitions. Obviously a huge honour, for Rankin.
- 2012 Liza Tarbuck Show (presenter) BBC Radio 2
- 2011-2012 The Tony Livesey Show BBC Radio 5 live (Regular Presenter)
- 2011 The Real Mr Khan (presenter) BBC Radio 4
- 2011 The Victoria Derbyshire Show BBC Radio 5 live Show (presenter)
- 2011 The Private Lives of British Pakistanis (presenter) – BBC for Radio 4
- 2011 Sparkhill Sound (writer and performer) BBC Radio 4
- 2011 Cricket World Cup coverage (presenter) BBC for Radio 5 live
- 2010 Adil’s Heroes of 2010 (presenter) – Alfi Media for BBC Radio 5 Live
- 2010 Snapshot Christmas (presenter) – Alfi Media for BBC Radio 5 live
- 2010 Up All Night (presenter) – BBC Radio 5 live
- 2010 Cricket 6duck6 (presenter) – BBC Radio 5 live
- 2010 The Cricket Forum (presenter) – BBC Radio 5 live
- 2010 Test Match Special (reporter) – BBC Radio 4
- 2010 Football 606 (presenter) – BBC Radio 5 live
- 2010 The Gabby Logan Show (contributor) – BBC Radio 5 live
- 2010 The Gethin Jones Show (contributor) – BBC Radio 5 live
- 2010 Never Mind The Bhangra (presenter) – Alfi Media for BBC Radio 4
- 2009 Towering Ambition (presenter) – BBC Radio 4
- 2009 Picturing Britain (presenter) – Inhouse BBC Radio 4
- 2009 Breakfast Show (presenter) – BBC Asian Network
- 2008-09 Silver Street (Jungli) – BBC Asian Network
- 2006-08 Drivetime show (presenter) – BBC Asian Network
- 2006 Twenty Minutes (contributor) – BBC Radio 3
- 2002 The Adil Ray Show (presenter) – BBC Asian Network
- 2001 Century Radio (presenter)
- 1998 Drivetime show (presenter) – Galaxy 105
- 1995 Choice FM (presenter)